Thursday 10 March 2016

[[ March 11 Philippines - Laoag City

Today I slow down and only go out for some local sights in the morning. 

The sinking Bell Tower of Laoag built in 1580.




Java sparrows ... An introduced bird from the pet trade lives on the tower

Inside a museum of indigenous peoples...



Jeepney parking





Lastly ... A pet store close to the hotel sells Fighting Cocks. I'm not going to weight in on the merits of this sport but I did talk to the Pet Shop owner about the sport. He sells fighting cocks. He also showed me his prize bird, not for sale but a 2 time winner. This bird he tells me is smart as well as an excellent fighter. He will breed the bird and continue to enter his bird into competition. His entry fee is reimbursed after a win (2500 pesos or C$71.11). He and many others bet on the outcome. Thousands and even millions of pesos are wagered.

His 2 time winner

Another of his birds


No comments:

Post a Comment

*** 🇨🇦 *** Spring in Rondeau Provincial Park, Ontario Canada in May 2024

An exciting trip. My second visit and this time during spring bird migration. One of the best places to see birds and I had the pleasure of ...