Saturday 11 February 2017

::: February 11, 2017 Yangon, Myanmar (Burma) - Shwedagon Pagoda

Here, finally. Despite some unintentional hiccups in my plans, I arrived intact with camera at the ready. Let me start with this: Canadian, U.S. and citizens of many countries require a Visa to enter Myanmar. ASEAN countries do not. Visa documents can be obtained online with E-Visa. WARNING: obtain this from ONLY the official Government website. Cost is US$50 (C$65.41). Visa can also be obtained from a Myanmar Embassy. Express same day service C$84.30. I know I obtained both! Not letting any of this deter me, had a good flight and so far great hotel. More on the hotel later. 
Shwedagon Pagoda is by legend over 2500 years old. For sure it dates from 1485. Gleaming in gold and decorated with diamonds, Shwedagon Pagoda, is a spectacular work of Burmese temple architecture and is the holiest Buddhist shrine in Myanmar. With 9-60 tonnes of gold, At the very top of the spire is the diamond orb - a hollow gold sphere studded with 4351 diamonds totalling 1800 carats. On the very tip rests a single, 76-carat diamond
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I must say I was singularly impressed. It is worth a repeat visit to take in more of the detail. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

*** 🇨🇦 *** Spring in Rondeau Provincial Park, Ontario Canada in May 2024

An exciting trip. My second visit and this time during spring bird migration. One of the best places to see birds and I had the pleasure of ...