Tuesday 25 February 2014

Chatuchak Weekend Market .... Shopping anyone?

Chatuchak Market is the largest market in Thailand. It is the largest weekend market in the world. On Saturday and Sunday over 15,000 stalls fill a 35 acre site. Everything is sold here. 

My friend decided to take me there on a Monday when it is very quiet. All I wanted to see was the section selling animals. I have seen documentaries on this somewhat seedy area where many animals are sold that are on the endangered list. I thought I would play the stupid tourist and I took my camera.
There were many signs saying no photography and one sign in particular at one stall selling reptiles that said in no uncertain terms "F--K OFF" in English and Thai. As well my friend was very concerned that I not take pictures as it could be problematical for my health. I took a few pictures. The animals ranged from mice to dogs and included many reptiles, birds, fish and mammals. Most of them in crampt containers or cages.

A few of the animals and some of the other stalls that were open follow in pictures. I will go back again on a weekend and take more pictures of some of the things on offer.










No comments:

Post a Comment

*** 🇨🇦 *** Spring in Rondeau Provincial Park, Ontario Canada in May 2024

An exciting trip. My second visit and this time during spring bird migration. One of the best places to see birds and I had the pleasure of ...