Saturday 11 January 2014

The temples of Chiang Mai

I know, I know ... Once you've seen one temple you've seen them all is the comment most heard by some tourists. However, I find Buddhist temples different. A different feeling exists inside the complex that is distinctly related to Buddhist beliefs. It maybe be difficult to explain but today i let my friend Noom who is quite a devout Buddhist take me to 2 different temples in Chiang Mai. Both I have seen before. Wat Chai Mongkol and Wat Phra Sing are 2 of over 300 temples in Chiangmai.

The first is Wat Chai Mongkol ... My 3rd visit to this temple on the river is famous for liberation. The temple makes a good income from the devout "liberating" a menagerie of creatures they pay for. They include birds, fish, salamanders, turtles, snails and frogs. All sold just inside the entrance.



The temple complex is small by comparison to some having only 18 monks in residence and located on the Mae Ping river. This view is the top of one of the small pagodas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

*** 🇨🇦 *** Spring in Rondeau Provincial Park, Ontario Canada in May 2024

An exciting trip. My second visit and this time during spring bird migration. One of the best places to see birds and I had the pleasure of ...